Lead Workshop (Bromsgrove Guild)
Active: 1899 - 1966
Function: Lead workers
Policy: Set up as an associated business of the plaster works directed by Henry Ludlow and George Percy Bankart. In c. 1901 the lead works moved to the central Guild premisis in Station Street and was bought by the Guild from Ludlow and Bankart for £32.10s. See Townshend 'The Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts', in Watt 'The Bromsgrove Guild', (1999), p. 13 and p. 17.
Townshend notes that the lead shop mainly produced rainwater good such cisterns, fountains etc., but also made more decorative works. The 1907 the 'Art Journal' noted that 'Mr. George Bankart's lead work, either cast or with part or all the ornament lead-soldered, is one of the most decorative revivals of architectural metalwork'. Townshend notes that Bankart worked in the lead shop with Harry Hems, and 'Messrs Stanton, Adams, Crane, Blunn and Chance': see Goodwin and Townshend, 'The Workers at the Bromsgrove Guild', p. 57.
Institutional and Business Connections
Bought out by Bromsgrove Guild
No date is given but the lead works was presumably sold before one of its owners, George Percy Bankart, left the firm in 1906. See Townshend 'The Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts', in Watt 'The Bromsgrove Guild', (1999), p. 13.
Shared premises with Bromsgrove School of Art
1899 (Circa) - 1901 (Circa)
The lead workshop was located in rooms rented from the School of Art in Cresent Street, before moving to Station Street in 1901. See Townshend 'The Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts', in Watt 'The Bromsgrove Guild', (1999), p. 13 and p. 17.
Worked with Bromsgrove Guild
Citing this record
'Lead Workshop (Bromsgrove Guild)', Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951, University of Glasgow History of Art and HATII, online database 2011 [http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib4_1243523617, accessed 24 Mar 2017]